Derby Hats & Fascinators
The Derby hat is a beloved tradition here in Kentucky. Equal parts fashion and pageantry, there are no rules or limits to how extravagant your Derby hat can be.
Derby Headwear Fashion Tips
The Derby hat is a beloved tradition here in Kentucky. Equal parts fashion and pageantry, there are no rules or limits to how extravagant your Derby hat can be. The official Kentucky Derby website even suggests that wearing a hat to the Derby is believed to bring good luck—here’s to hoping your hat helps you hit a trifecta this year! A beloved staple of Derby fashion, we can’t wait to help you find the perfect boutique Derby hat or fascinator to match your style and personality.
We’ve compiled some of our favorite Derby tips and style suggestions to help you make this year unforgettable. Let’s talk Derby!
What colors can I wear to the Derby?
Truly, the options are endless! Though pink and red are popular colors, you will see every color imaginable at the Derby. The only thing to keep in mind is that your Derby hat and dress should coordinate. Though they don’t have to match—some of the best style combinations are bold and unexpected—we have some tips for coordinating your outfit so that your Derby style is as fabulous as you!Need help putting together the perfect Derby outfit? Check out our helpful tips below!
Where to Start: Hat or Dress?
This is completely personal preference—find what speaks to you and your outfit will come together effortlessly! If you find a boutique hat that is perfect for you, get it! You can coordinate your outfit so that your Derby hat really stands out or adds a fun pop of color. If you absolutely fall in love with a dress, go for a simple, more neutral hat that accents your dress or a bold fascinator that incorporates an unexpected twist.You can also start by picking out a color or theme for your Derby outfit and finding inspiration from there. Our number one tip is just to express yourself! Some classic Derby hat styles feature:
Or, begin by choosing a style of hat that suits your personality. We love the classic, wide-band hat for its timeless elegance, but we’re also falling for the fun and vibrant fascinators this year.
Derby Hat vs. Fascinator
A classic boutique Derby hat is always in style! Often decorated with flowers, bows, and ribbons, a classic sunhat is easily the centerpiece of any Derby outfit. For ultimate elegance and style, the wide-brimmed “Southern Belle” hat brings sophistication to any Derby outfit. Some of our favorite Derby hats are a spin on the classic pink, red, and coral colors, but many ladies also go for eye-popping colors like green, indigo, or purple. For something a bit smaller, but equally as stylish and eye-popping, we love the chic Derby fascinator. Simpler to wear than a hat, fascinators are a headpiece attached to a clip or headband. Often featuring vibrant colors accented with striking feathers, flowers, and netting, fascinators make the perfect accent to your Derby outfit. We especially love a bold boutique Derby fascinator that adds a pop of color to your outfit. Whether you choose an elegant wide-brimmed Derby hat or a bold fascinator, PinkTag can’t wait to help you find the perfect style for your personality! Here are some last-minute tips to consider before deciding on the perfect Derby hat:
- If your hat is bold, keep your outfit simple, so all the attention is on your Derby hat.
- If your outfit is bold, coordinate your Derby hat by choosing a single, bold color. This will keep your look consistent.
- If your hat is simple, keep your dress simple for a classic look.
- Try a monochromatic look, with either one bold shade or different shades of the same color.
- Choose a contrasting color for your Derby hat or fascinator, creating a bold and eye-catching combination.
- Florals are always in style. Incorporate florals into your hat or outfit for a perfect Spring look.
- You can’t go wrong with pastels for Derby—and they look great together! Go for a pastel outfit and hat combo for the ultimate Spring look.
- How you style your hair is just as important as the Derby hat you choose. Your hair should accent and bring attention to your Derby hat, so try a cute ponytail or loose waves tucked to one side for a stunning look.
- Don’t hold back—let Derby spark your passion for fashion and go as elegant or bold as you’d like!